Powerball is one of the biggest and most exciting lottery games available to New York residents. It regularly offers some of the largest prizes in the world and in January 2016 the jackpot reached an incredible $1.6 billion.
Powerball draws take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 22:59 EST. Ticket sales close at 22:00 EST on the night of each draw, reopening again after the winning numbers have been revealed. The Powerball results page is updated with the latest numbers straight after each draw has taken place.
How to Play Powerball
To enter Powerball, you must pick five main numbers between 1 and 69 and one Powerball number between 1 and 26. It costs $2 to buy one line, and you can either pick your own numbers or ask for a Quick Pick ticket which randomly generates a line for you. You must be at least 18 years of age to play Powerball in New York.
You can opt to take part in the Power Play, for an extra $1 per line, which could double, triple, quadruple, quintuple or even decuple (10x) your lower-tier prizes ($50,000 or less) and double the Match-5 prize to $2 million.
Note, the 10x Power Play multiplier is only available when the jackpot is $150 million or less, and the biggest Power Play prize available is capped at $2 million.
- Visit an official Powerball retailer
- Pick five main numbers and one Powerball number, or ask for a Quick Pick ticket
- Choose how many consecutive draws you would like to enter
- Decide whether you want to add Power Play for an additional $1 per line
- Store your ticket in a safe place until the draw
- Check the results page to find out if you are a winner
You win the jackpot by matching all five main numbers and the Powerball. There is a guaranteed minimum jackpot worth $40 million, and prizes start from matching just the Powerball number.
There are nine different prize tiers available in the main draw, and a further eight when you include Power Play. There is no jackpot cap in place, so the top prize can continue to roll over until it has been won.
You have one year from the date of the draw to claim your prize.
Prizes worth up to and including $600 can usually be claimed from an authorized ticket retailer, but you should double check with your store first. You can visit one of the Lottery Claim Centers to claim your prize if it is worth $601 or more. Jackpot winners should contact official lottery representatives as soon as possible.
Bigger Powerball prizes, including the jackpot, are subject to federal taxes in New York, and may also incur state taxes. You should speak to a tax professional to get some advice if you win a prize.
Odds of Winning
The overall odds of a winning a Powerball prize are 1 in 24.87, and your chances of winning in each of the individual prize tiers, to the nearest integer, are shown below:
|Match 5 + Powerball||Jackpot||1 in 292,201,338|
|Match 5||$1 million||1 in 11,688,054|
|Match 4 + Powerball||$50,000||1 in 913,129|
|Match 4||$100||1 in 36,525|
|Match 3 + Powerball||$100||1 in 14,494|
|Match 3||$7||1 in 580|
|Match 2 + Powerball||$7||1 in 701|
|Match 1 + Powerball||$4||1 in 92|
|Match 0 + Powerball||$4||1 in 38|
The odds of each Power Play option occurring are shown below. Remember, the 10x multiplier can only occur when the jackpot is under $150 million.
|Power Play Multiplier||Odds when 10x is available||Odds when 10x not available|
|Match 10x||1 in 43||N/A|
|Match 5x||1 in 21.5||1 in 21|
|Match 4x||1 in 14.33||1 in 14|
|Match 3x||1 in 3.31||1 in 3.23|
|Match 2x||1 in 1.79||1 in 1.75|
These are the estimated payouts available for ticket holders who have entered Power Play:
|Match||Power Play x2||Power Play x3||Power Play x4||Power Play x5||Power Play x10|
|Match 5 and Powerball||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot||Jackpot|
|Match 5||$2 million||$2 million||$2 million||$2 million||$2 million|
|Match 4 + Powerball||$100,000||$150,000||$200,00||$250,000||$500,000|
|Match 3 + Powerball or Match 4||$200||$300||$400||$500||$1,000|
|Match 2 + Powerball or Match 3||$14||$21||$28||$35||$70|
|Match 0 + Powerball or Match 1 + Powerball||$8||$12||$16||$20||$40|
New York Powerball Winners
There have been nine jackpot-winning tickets bought in New York since The Empire State joined Powerball in 2010:
- Chris and Jeff Pintuff of Wilton, $48.8 million, December 2010
- Stephen Kirwan of Purling, $122 million, January 2011
- A group of 20 Costco workers from Melville, $201.9 million, June 2011
- Tara Ramirez of Hartsdale, $73 million, February 2012
- Maksim Nikolayev of South Brooklyn, $130.3 million, November 2013
- Anthony Perosi and Anthony Perosi III of Manhattan, $136 million, June 2015
- Nandlall Mangal of Staten Island, $245.6 million, August 2018
- A ticket holder in New York City split $688 million with one other winning ticket, October 2018
- David Johnson, a trucker from Brooklyn, won $298 million on October 26th 2018